2010년 9월 12일 일요일

An Approach to Academic Writing

Baeyoung Moon




An Approach to Academic Writing


This week's reading is simple but so helpful for academic writers including me. On page 15, the author said that one difficulty in using the appropriate style is knowing what is considered academic and what is not. Before I read this book, I just wrote my essay regardless of what is academic writing or not. Even I have never thought about what kind of style an academic writing is. Now I realized it exactly. Fortunately I have followed the style somewhat without my intention.


With regard to the usage of metaphors and vivid expressions, if it's necessary to deliver the main ideas well to audience and unless it goes against the purpose, I think it could be allowed. When it comes to the vocabulary shift, this part is one of the most difficult parts to nonnative speakers. Because nonnative speakers have difficulty in distinguishing between informal vocabulary and formal one. However I am sure that it can be overcome through training continuously.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기